Effective Date: June 9, 2023
Your privacy is important to us. Please read this policy carefully to understand how we will collect, use, and disclose your personal information, and what choices you have with respect to your personal information.
1. Who We Are
We are Remotasks, a global tasking platform enabling people to work when and where they want to enable the acceleration of artificial intelligence. A reference to “Remotasks,” ”we,” or “us” is a reference to Smart Ecosystem, Inc. and its affiliates including Smart Ecosystem Philippines, Inc. involved in the collection, use, sharing, or other processing of personal information. Where applicable, Remotasks is the controller.
2. Scope and Applicability
This policy describes how Remotasks collects, uses, shares or otherwise processes personal information when you access or use our website (www.remotasks.com) (the “Remotasks Site”) and any other associated mobile or web services, software, platforms or applications made generally available by Remotasks (collectively, “Remotasks Systems”), attend a Remotasks event, or otherwise interact with us.
3. Personal Information We Collect
When we talk about “personal information” (or “personal data”) we’re talking about a broad range of information. Data protection laws around the world define this concept in different ways, but in general, we mean any information that relates to an identifiable, living individual person.
- Personal Information You Provide Us Directly. We may collect the following personal information you provide directly to us:
- Registration information - Personal information we collect when you register for a user account to access Remotasks Systems (your “Account”). This may include your name, country of residence, mobile phone number, email address, postal address, and other demographic information, which includes things like background information related to your experience and education. In certain instances, you may be asked to provide proof of your identity, such as a driver license or other government-issued ID, and location to access or use Remotasks Systems or task on certain projects.
- Your activity when you use our services - Personal information we collect when you use Remotasks Systems and how you use them. We might know, for instance, that you completed the security review or that you undertook and/or completed a task for third-party customers (“Customers”) or performed support services related to such tasks (collectively, “Tasks”). If you submit, upload, publish or otherwise make available text, audio, and/or visual content and information, including commentary, questions, and feedback on Remotasks Systems related to Tasks, support requests, and submission of entries for competitions and promotions (collectively, “User Content”), we may collect your User Content.
- Marketing, events, and communications information – Personal information we collect when you express interest in obtaining information about Remotasks Systems, such as by signing up for emails or other communications. This may include things such as your name, email address, mailing address, phone number, title, or company name.
- Survey Information - Personal information we collect in response to surveys that we may conduct in order to improve Remotasks Systems.
- Financial and payment information - Personal information we collect in order to process payment to you or provide tax documentation.
- Personal Information We Collect From You Automatically. We use tools and services commonly used on the internet, such as log files, cookies, pixel tags, and similar technologies to automatically collect personal information from your devices while you navigate the Remotasks Site or interact with emails we send to you. In this context, we collect things like IP address, browser or device type, operating system, the website you visited before the Remotasks Site, and identifiers of your devices. For more information, please also visit our Cookies Policy.
- Personal Information We Collect From Third Parties. We may also collect personal information from third-party sources. For example:
- if you create or log into your Account using your Google or Facebook account credentials, we will access and collect your name, email address, country of residence, and age range from these third parties
- if one of our business partners provisioned you an Account, we will access and collect the information you provided to them for this purpose
- if you submit, upload, publish or otherwise make available User Content on other platforms related to Tasks, we may collect your User Content
- if you opt-in for an identity verification or a background check, our screening vendor may provide us with certain personal information, such as your name, date of birth, address, government-issued ID, phone number, email address, and picture
- our payment facilitation vendor may provide us with tax documentation, which includes things like your taxpayer identification number, related to payments made to you
4. How and Why We Use Information
The categories of personal information we use, and why and how we process personal information, are set out below. Where required under data protection law, we also identify our legal justification (i.e., “legal basis”) for processing your personal information.
5. Information Sharing and Disclosure
We may share your personal information as follows:
- Affiliates - We may share your personal information with our affiliates to provide, improve, protect, and promote Remotasks Systems, or communicate with you.
- Business partners - If your Account was provisioned by a business partner, the business partner’s administrator (“admin”) may have access and control over the information associated with your Account. The business partner may have its own policies governing access and use of information in your Account.
- Customers - We may share your personal information with Remotasks Clients in order to demonstrate that we have confirmed your identity before undertaking any Tasks. We may also share your User Content related to a Customer’s Tasks.
- Other users – We may share your User Content with other Remotasks users to enable you and other users to complete Tasks.
- Law enforcement or other third parties in connection with legal requests - We may disclose your information to third parties, such as law enforcement, if we determine such disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with applicable law, regulation, legal process, or a government request, (b) protect any person from death or serious bodily injury, (c) prevent fraud, abuse, or security issue of the Remotasks Site or other users, and (d) to protect our or our licensors’ rights, property, safety, or interest.
- Third parties involved in a corporate transaction – We may disclose your personal information if we are involved in a merger, reorganization, dissolution or other fundamental corporate change, or sell a website or business unit, or if all or a portion of our business, assets or stock are acquired by a third party. In accordance with applicable laws, we will use reasonable efforts to notify you of any transfer of your personal information to an unaffiliated third party.
6. Retention and Deletion of Information
Because the needs can vary for different types of information in the context of different services, actual retention periods can vary. We determine the appropriate retention period for personal information based on the amount, nature and sensitivity of your personal information processed, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal information and whether we can achieve the purposes of the processing through other means, as well as applicable legal requirements.
After expiry of the applicable retention periods, your personal information will be deleted. If there is any data that we are unable, for technical reasons, to delete entirely from our systems, we will put in place appropriate measures to prevent any further use of that information.
We employ reasonable physical, technological, and administrative security measures to safeguard your personal information. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
8. International Transfers
[For transfers of personal information from the European Economic Area and Switzerland to third countries that do not have an adequacy decision, we will transfer personal information in accordance with the applicable requirements of EU data protection legislation, including by entering into European Commission Standard Contractual Clauses or ensuring a third party’s participation in the EU-US or Swiss-US Privacy Shield Frameworks (or any equivalent or replacement mechanism to the extent permitted by applicable data protection laws).]
9. Your Privacy Rights and Choices
Depending on where you reside, and subject to applicable law, you may have the following rights with regard to the personal information we control about you:
- You may have the right to access, correct, amend, and delete your personal information by contacting us at [email protected]. We may request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and process your request. Please note that if your account was provisioned by a business partner, and if you seek to access, correct, amend, or delete data associated with your account, you should direct your requests to the business partner’s admin.
- Where you give your consent to the processing of your personal information, you may withdraw that consent at any time.
- You may have the right to object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information, or request portability of your personal information by contacting us at [email protected].
- You may have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. If you are based in the EEA or UK, the contact details for data protection authorities are available here: https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/about-edpb/members_en.
If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive marketing communications from us, please follow the unsubscribe instructions provided in any of the communications. If you choose to no longer receive marketing communications, we may still communicate with you about security updates, responses to service requests, or other service related, non-marketing purposes.
10. Our Policy on Children
Remotasks Systems are not directed to individuals under 18, or a higher age depending on your jurisdiction (“Required Age”). If we become aware that a child under the Required Age has submitted information to us, we will delete the information. If you believe that we may have any information from a child under the Required Age, please contact us at [email protected].
12. Contacting Us
You may contact our EU Representative at [email protected] or by mail:
2 Pembroke House, 28-32 Upper Pembroke Street, Dublin DO2 EK84
You may contact our UK Representative at [email protected] or by mail:
17 Glasshouse Studios, Fryern Court Road, Fordingbridge, Hampshire, SP6 1QX United Kingdom.